- Ensure medical coverage and emergency medical evacuation insurance are included in the travel insurance policy.
- Insure against the unexpected. Trip cancellation insurance will pay for any non-refundable travel costs.
- Shop around to get the travel insurance policy that best fits your needs.
- Don’t just compare the prices of travel insurance policies, also compare the benefits of the cover, what it excludes and product features.
- Keep the international helpline number and a copy of the policy with you at all times.
Check what the reimbursement terms are.
- Does the insurance require you to pay upfront for medical bills then reimburse them, or does the policy kick in immediately?
- When deciding on a policy make sure you know what activities it doesn’t cover, e.g. certain sports.
- Ensure you understand what you can expect in terms of reimbursement. In particular, look out for the maximum amount you can claim on individual items.
- Check whether you are covered for loss as well as theft.
- Keep records (receipts) of any expensive items you are planning to take with you, e.g. cameras, expensive jewellery, etc.
- Report all theft or loss quickly. You should report any lost or stolen goods immediately to the local police, hotel management and travel representative. If a bag is lost or stolen at the airport, report it immediately get a receipt from the airline or baggage handler.
Natalia Thompson TNW